Chalkboard Wall

Friday, May 11, 2012 | |

Sidenote: I started this post 9 months ago.  I guess it's better late than never

We've started our second year of homeschooling this year and things are going great... for the most part. This year I wanted to try to make our school room (aka the kitchen table area) a little more school-y. And try to declutter the fridge of art, math papers and handwriting papers. It's a hard balance to find, especially since I can't shut the door on the homeschool room. It's all out in the open. We decided to try out the ever so popular chalkboard paint. So far, we LOVE it! We use it everyday to practice/teach math, calendar, days of the week, and just playing too.
Here is a quick rundown of what we did:
1. Prep the wall. 
I think this step is optional.  How smooth do you want your chalkboard?  If you don't mind a textured, bumpy surface; you could just skip this step and just throw on a couple of layers of chalkboard paint and you'd be good to go.  I wanted a smoother surface so we decided to sand off the texture. This part was NOT FUN!  Very time consuming as well as a HUGE mess! Even with taping up a plastic drop cloth (from ceiling to floor), dust still got on everything throughout the whole house.  I really don't know what you could do differently.  Maybe re-floating the wall to get a really smooth surface?  I bet a wallpapered surface would be best.  Keep in mind, the smoother the surface the better the chalk will write and erase.  Around the edges of our chalkboard I didn't sand very well and I can tell.  I don't know if others could, though.


2.  Clean the wall off with a damp cloth and let it dry.  YAY!  An easy step:)

3.  Paint the wall. 
I bought 2 quarts of paint and I used a little more than one can.  Our wall is about 5 feet tall and 10 feet wide.  Between each coat (I did 3) of paint I would let it dry for about an hour.  Also, one of my friends told me you can get some add-in "stuff" to make your paint magnetic.  Check it out.  Oh, and you can also buy different colors of chalkboard paint if you didn't want the standard black board look.

4.  Let it cure for 24 hrs.

5.  Condition the chalkboard
Turn your chalk on its side and rub it all over the chalkboard, then get a paper towel and rub it all in.  Now you can draw all over your board. 

I made this super cute backdrop to take Rex's Halloween picture infront of; but my little octopus wanted nothing to do with it.  

0 comments:

Hit Counter

Madsen Cycles Contest

Madsen Cycles Cargo Bikes